Nominet are seeking a software developer with development experience in Java and other languages, good communication skills, a can-do attitude and an understanding of the language and APIs.
This person would work as part of the Operational Applications team to design, develop, release and maintain our software and systems architecture, enabling the highest possible quality of services for Nominet’s systems.
The Operational Applications team is a team of software developers responsible for the operation and the development of the core and critical software systems that enable the dot uk registry.
- Develop and maintain Nominet’s software and systems
- Take ownership of the operation and development of certain software components and business functions ensuring a high quality service that meets business requirements
- Become an authority and go-to person on areas of the business software whilst maintaining a working knowledge of wider areas.
- Package software and data for release.
- Manipulate data, diagnose and fix problems
- Develop and deliver documentation that will help others through the development process.
- Develop relationships with people across the Nominet business and use these relationships throughout your work
- Developing and maintaining Nominet software systems in a professional way
- Remaining appraised of current software development best practices
- Delivery of software and processes that are compliant with ISO 20000, ISO 27001, ISO 22301 and PCI.
- Delivering high quality tested software in a timely manner
- Ensuring software meets both business and customer needs
- Being a good team player and able to work with different people across departments and levels
- Works effectively as ‘part of the Company team’, communicates positively at all levels both internally and externally
- Works effectively as part of a department team, recognises areas where support is required and offers assistance
- Is flexible and adaptable in approach
- Takes an active role in personal development and frequently reviews individual objectives and attends training sessions as required
- Professionally manages customer communications
Professionally manages workload and conflicting priorities
Able to effectively problem solve and use initiative
Outputs and deliverables
- Feedback from internal and external stakeholders
- Measurable results against company vision and mission statements
- Spring, Hibernate/ORM frameworks
- Unit testing, automated build and testing
- Source code control systems (Git, SVN)
- Oracle RDBMS
- Release management
- Code profilers, checkers and optimisers
Any knowledge of the following is highly desirable:
- Vaadin, JMS
- Oracle PLSQL
- Knowledge of database programming including SQL and large RDBMS
- An ability to produce documentation that is well-structured and well-written.
- To be conscious of the requirement for on-going security and to apply it as appropriate
- Effectively communicate with both technical and non-technical colleagues
Background and profile
- This role would suit an enthusiastic software developer with a can-do attitude, looking to develop into a challenging role.
- The ideal candidate would enjoy the challenge of developing software systems that are already fairly robust to a high quality.
- The right person would be happy understanding others’ challenges and obstacles when looking at the best way of ensuring quality of software output from the Technical team.
- You should be committed to excellent customer service.
- You will be fully self-motivated, requiring the minimum management supervision, and appreciate the care needed when working in a highly public arena
You will also:
- Have a definite attention to detail and planning
- Be driven to learn, develop and deliver
- Have a creative and tenacious approach to problem solving
- Have a can-do attitude and be excited by new technology, willing to pick up and work with any system no matter how unfamiliar