Back-end Senior Analyst Developer
The Emerging Technology team at Nominet develop a world-leading software product which enables bleeding-edge methods for providing superfast wireless internet connectivity to remote or unconnected areas. Our technology helps communities deprived of the social and economic benefits of broadband internet, whether the significant minority left behind in the UK and USA, or the majority in many African countries. Our scalable cloud service uses a high-resolution mathematical simulation of the real world as the basis for dynamically enabling wireless networks in the gaps between existing wireless infrastructure. We provide sophisticated exploration, visualization, and management tools.
As a Software Engineer working in the Emerging Technology team, you will design, develop, release, and maintain Java-based systems with a strong numerical focus. You will work closely with other software engineers and researchers to develop efficient production systems. You will be comfortable developing algorithm-based modules from scratch or from literature with a high degree of autonomy, importing/generating/exporting large volumes of modelling data, and contributing to the wider development of robust and scalable production systems. You will be joining a team focussed on early-stage product development in emerging technologies and nascent markets, and will enjoy rapid iteration and moving between projects as circumstances change.
This role would suit a candidate with a strong STEM background having good coding skills and wishing to develop their career in software engineering.
The position can be based in London or Oxford.
- Development and maintenance of new and existing Nominet products
- Solving complex problems with no precedent and taking responsibility for key design decisions
- Investigating and engaging with new trends, technologies, packages and libraries
- Packaging software and data for continuous delivery/deployment
- Writing high-quality documentation
- Developing relationships with people across the Nominet business.
- Good undergraduate degree in a STEM subject; Masters/PhD especially desirable
- Good skills in Java or a similar language, plus a willingness to learn
- Ability to deliver algorithm and physical modelling code which generates the right answers, having first figured out what the right answers actually are.
- Ability to implement clean, robust, thoroughly-tested, maintainable, and standards-compliant code in an agile working environment
- Ability to work from a prototype and collaborate with researchers to deliver production-ready systems
- Ability to implement accurately algorithms specified in scientific papers or regulator documents
- Ability to make complex code easy to read and understand
- Ability to produce well-structured and well-written documentation
- Being a good team player with a positive attitude and able to work with different people across departments and levels
- Effective communication with technical and non-technical colleagues, including giving demonstrations of your software
- Ability to understand product development within the context of the business and how products will contribute to the success of the company
- SQL databases
- MS Azure or other cloud environment
- GIS experience