Commercial Business Partner (New Business)
The Commercial Business Partner (New Business) will support commercial decision making and analysis to deliver Nominet’s growth agenda. The role will provide financial modelling of proposed new business and commercial opportunities for the New Business. The Commercial Business Partner will be embedded within the New Business team to provide day to day commercial finance support to the Director of New Business and Product Development.
- Provide support to the new business team, utilising research provided by the Commercial Market Analyst or external agencies, uncover value adding insights and validate value creation opportunities in line with Nominet’s strategy for New Business.
- Take the lead on the economic evaluation and testing of assumptions in support of developing the strategic business case for Government Services and Enterprise opportunities. Provide support to the New Business team on individual bid submissions for potential contracts.
- Be the ‘go to’ person for the financial modelling of proposed business cases and commercial validation of input assumptions from the business.
- Provide support to the business management team and cost centre managers to develop, monitor and report on relevant financial and non-financial KPIs for New Business activities ensuring alignment with Nominet strategy and business plan.
- Deliver high quality market driven data, insight and guidance to advise senior managers and departments on commercial and financial viability of business cases, budgets and forecasts.
- Broader influence on the BMT and cost centre managers to identify opportunities to extract maximum value from planned investments.
- Own and develop monitoring information, including benchmarking data, and responses to ad-hoc data queries and requests on behalf of senior management.
- Take ownership of the production and development of monthly company performance report inputs for New Business.
- Provide advice and support to the Head of Commercial Finance and Head of Accounting in the development and critical review of budgetary and forecast assumptions including cash flow projections.
- Must be capable of interacting confidently with senior stakeholders across the business.
- Develop and promote effective working relationships with the senior management team, new business and technical teams.
- Work effectively with other departments on the commercial and financial viability of major projects or bids to ensure value for money for Nominet.
- Ability to communicate clearly (verbal and written).
- Strong attention to detail.
- Commercial outlook.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills.
- Ability to be assertive yet diplomatic as required.
- Be able to articulate financial information to stakeholders with no financial background in a simple and understandable manner without losing the impact of the message.
Key results / Outputs and deliverables
- Development of commercially sound finance models to evaluate external bids, partnerships and internally created products/services.
- Production of clear and concise reporting on new business activities provising insightful commentary.
- Relevant, reliable and evidenced insight and recommendations that informs tactical and strategic decision making across the business.
Professional skills, background and profile
- CIMA, ACCA or ACA.
- Preferably 2 year post qualified working in a commercial environment for IT/Software Development or comparable business.
- Understanding of financial statements, working capital, financial ratios and risk analysis.
- Experience of commercial modelling (P&L and Cash Flow)
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Experience of Government Service contracts and bids is desirable but not essential.
- Ability to present complex information in a clear way.
- Flexible with ability to thrive on tight deadlines.
- Able to demonstrate absolute discretion and confidentiality at all times.