Working for a company built on innovation, collaboration and social responsibility, this is an opportunity for an experienced Database Administrator (DBA) to join a growing team, where you will have the opportunity to work with a number of current database technologies.
As Database Administrator you will be responsible for the administration, performance, integrity and security of the Oracle Database, Business Intelligence and other databases used within Nominet, operating at the heart of the internet and part of the UK's national infrastructure.
You will proactively administer the database environments across multiple technologies to provide best-of-breed database support to the Nominet business. Deliver enhancements and projects in line with a technical roadmap across multiple database technologies and platforms.
Outputs and deliverables:
- High performance database service based on monitoring
- Management of support workload to SLAs
- On time and on-budget project delivery
- Close, productive working relationships with other IT teams
- Provision of on call support
Objectives of the role:
- Provision of high quality database support to both Nominet business and IT team
- Management of RDBMS software, systems infrastructure and people to provide high quality service
- Work with multiple RDBMS systems, technologies and platforms to create best of breed solutions
- Work with Oracle Business Intelligence (OBIEE) and Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
- Understand and proactively plan software and infrastructure over a period of 3-5 years to meet both technical and business needs
- Monitor database efficiency and manage parameters to ensure optimum performance of registry systems.
- Control access permissions and privileges to the databases
- Work to Service Level Agreements to manage uptime and performance of both systems and services
- Manage project activity and balance this with support and administration tasks
- Work closely with Infrastructure team; Sys Admin and wider IT department to deliver key projects and processes
- Be an effective, disciplined, self-starting and self-managing individual capable of hard work
- Substantial experience working in database roles
- Excellent understanding of OBIEE and ODI
- Experience in migration between database versions
- Upgrade lifecycle management
- Capacity management planning
- Database roadmap planning
- A good understanding of Oracle, Postgres, Cassandra and SqlServer
- Detailed knowledge of
- Database replication.
- Database indexing, index management and performance tuning
- Strong skills in PSQL and knowledge of SQL
- Skills in backup, restores, performance tuning, database monitoring and security.
- Good Knowledge of RedHat Linux and Windows operating systems
- Works effectively as ‘part of the Company team’,
- Able to communicate to both technical and non technical audiences
- Able to work well in fast paced environment without losing attention to detail
- Flexible, adaptable and proactive in approach
- Able to effectively problem solve and use initiative