Database Administrator (DBA)
You’re right at our core, keeping our tech engines firing. The IT developers, protectors and futureproofers who support, stabilise and secure so we’re all systems go. From the critical national infrastructure to .uk. From governments and global enterprises to the internet community beyond. If something goes down, you get it back up. If it needs improving, you finesse and fine-tune it. Because nothing less than peak performance – ours and yours – will do.
What does a Database Administrator (DBA) do?
As Database Administrator you are responsible for the administration, performance, integrity and security of the Oracle Database, Business Intelligence, and other databases used within Nominet.
You proactively administer the database environments across multiple technologies to provide best-of-breed database support to the Nominet business. Deliver enhancements and projects in line with a technical roadmap across multiple database technologies and platforms.
What we expect from a DBA
- Provision of high quality database support to both Nominet business and IT team
- Management of RDBMS software, systems infrastructure and people to provide high quality service
- Work with Oracle Business Intelligence (OBIEE) and Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
- Understand and proactively plan software and infrastructure over a period of 3-5 years to meet both technical and business needs
- Monitor database efficiency and manage parameters to ensure optimum performance of registry systems.
- Control access permissions and privileges to the databases
- Work to Service Level Agreements to manage uptime and performance of both systems and services
- Manage project activity and balance this with support and administration tasks
- Work closely with Infrastructure team, Sys Admin and wider IT department to deliver key projects and processes
The skills, experience and behaviours required
- Substantial experience working in database roles
- Good understanding of OBIEE and ODI
- Experience in migration between database versions
- Knowledge of upgrade lifecycle management
- Experience of capacity management planning
- Experience of database roadmap planning
- A good understanding of Oracle (Postgres, Cassandra and SqlServer an advantage)
- Detailed knowledge of database replication, d
- atabase indexing, index management and performance tuning
- Strong skills in PSQL and knowledge of SQL
- Skills in backup, restores, performance tuning, database monitoring and security.
- Good knowledge of RedHat Linux and Windows operating systems
- Able to communicate with both technical and non technical audiences
- Able to work well in fast paced environment without losing attention to detail
- Flexible, adaptable and proactive in approach
- Able to problem solve effectively