Nominet are looking for a talented Java Developer to join the Emerging Technology team working on the exciting area of IoT & Autonomous Vehicle Technology.
The candidate will use strong Java development skills to help design, prototype and build back-end IoT systems and tools. These technologies are used on live systems from live flood monitoring to autonomous cars (https://www.drivenby.ai) and this is a great opportunity for ambitious candidates to build upon and grow their core skills in a fast moving research environment. We will consider applications from less experienced candidates providing they can demonstrate strong fundamental Java skills and ability to learn quickly.
You can find out more about the work of the Nominet Emerging Technology team https://www.nominet.uk/emerging-technology/
General Description of role:
This is a fantastic opportunity to work on cutting edge research in the Nominet Autonomous Vehicle and IoT Technology group.
As a Developer working in the Emerging Technology team, you will take the lead on designing, developing, releasing, and maintaining java based back-end systems. You will work closely with researchers to develop existing prototypes into efficient production-ready systems. You will be comfortable owning the development of innovative new systems from scratch with a high degree of autonomy. You will be joining a team focused on early-stage product development in emerging technologies and nascent markets, and will enjoy rapid iteration and moving between projects as circumstances change.
- Development and maintenance of new Nominet products.
- Implementation of robust, maintainable, standards-compliant code (that leverages frameworks where possible) in an agile working environment.
- Working on a breadth of back-end technologies whilst ensuring a coherent, high-performing platform.
- Investigating and engaging with new trends, technologies, packages and libraries.
- Delivering high-quality, well tested code in a timely manner
- Packaging software and data for continuous delivery/deployment
- Writing high-quality documentation
- Solving complex problems with no precedent and taking responsibility for key design decisions
- Developing relationships with people across the Nominet business and using these relationships throughout your work
- Being a good team player with a positive attitude and able to work with different people across departments and levels
Emerging Technology Team
Project Management Office
New Product and Business Development Team
Key Nominet staff
Key result areas
- High level of service delivered based on internal feedback and features implemented as part of product roadmaps.
- On-time and on-budget project delivery.
- Collaborative, productive working relationships with colleagues
- Superb Java skills
- Experience in with working with SQL databases
- Familiarity with version control systems like Subversion/Git
- Ability to scrutinise and provide feedback on specifications
- Ability to work from a prototype and collaborate with researchers to deliver production-ready systems
- Ability to understand product development within the context of the business and how products will contribute to the success of the company
- Ability to produce documentation that is well-structured and well-written
- Effective communication with technical and non-technical colleagues, including giving demonstrations of your software
- A passion for writing clean, reliable, thoroughly-tested, maintainable code
- Scientific background is desirable - ideally maths, physics, or radio technology
- The following skills are desirable but not essential:
- Linux sysadmin/DevOps experience
- Experience with EC2 cloud environment
- Server side Node.js
- This role would benefit from someone with experience in implementing authentication and security protocols