General Description of role:
The DNS Analyst will research, develop, evaluate, and operate information systems that derive value from Nominet’s DNS data. They will do this by using in house applications along with developing further tools.
The DNS analyst will combine their knowledge of network engineering with practical data analytics tools to provide insight into the datasets generated by Nominet’s DNS infrastructure.
- Understand the DNS infrastructure and the data being collected from it.
- Become an expert in Nominet’s DNS analysis tools.
- Assist with the operation of Nominet’s DNS analysis tools.
- Research, develop, and advocate the use of analysis / presentation tools to allow Nominet and its customers to derive value from their DNS data.
- Detect, analyse, and present findings on DNS based cybersecurity threats to internal and external customers.
- Challenge existing initiatives to improve their commercial worth.
- Communicate strategically, describing technical and non-technical findings in a way to suit the audience
- Add to the ethos of a world class Internet company with innovation, hard-work and a true passion for technology
- Works effectively as ‘part of the Company team’, communicates positively at all levels both internally and externally
- Works effectively as part of a department team, recognises areas where support is required and offers assistance
- Is flexible and adaptable in approach
- Takes an active role in personal development by frequently reviewing individual objectives and attending training sessions as required
- Professionally manages customer communications
- Professionally manages workload and conflicting priorities
- Able to effectively problem solve and use initiative
Key results / Outputs and deliverables:
- Provide clear insight into Nominet and customer DNS data in the form of reports, presentations, and data output.
- Enhance existing data initiatives through the development of new DNS data extraction and analysis techniques using a variety of computing methodologies and languages.
- Contribute to the operation of DNS analysis infrastructure
- Create elegant solutions for complex and challenging problems
Professional skills, background and profile:
The ideal candidate would have a real interest and enthusiasm for working with the latest technology within a highly motivated team. They would bring fresh and exciting ideas to the role and have a very inquisitive and analytical mind. In addition, they would have the ability to work as part of a team as well as being self-motivated.
- Proven experience with one or more well-known scripting languages (Perl, Python & Ruby)
- Advanced knowledge of Internet network operations with a strong focus on DNS and BGP
- Wider experience with a variety of mainstream IT systems, data schemas, and databases (e.g. Linux, Java, SQL, JSON, HTTP APIs, etc.)
- Proven experience of delivering data projects that have made a measurable impact
- Excellent communication skills
- Interest and enthusiasm for computing and emerging technologies
- An exceptional ability for problem solving and logical reasoning
- Ability to think laterally and look beyond the obvious
- Excellent academic background and/or a degree (BSc/or equivalent) in a computing-related or other numerate subject such as Computer Science, IT, Physics or Maths is desirable