The DNS engineer will support and operate the Nominet DNS platforms, taking ownership of regular support tasks and project duties as required to meet stringent performance criteria.
Additionally the DNS engineer will research, develop, and evaluate methods and technologies for analysing operational DNS data. They will achieve these tasks using their knowledge of network operations and by using in house applications.
- Provide technical expertise to assist in the support and operation of Nominet DNS/DNSSEC platfrorms.
- Analyse business requirements and design/deploy DNS infrastructure to satisfy those needs whilst delivering value for money.
- Ensure that the DNS platforms are secure, stable and maintained to maximise uptime for external and internal DNS/DNSSEC systems.
- Interface with the wider technical teams to ensure all systems are working in efficient and scalable manner.
- Be a subject matter expert in DNS and DNSSEC related technologies, particularly with regard to ongoing operations, representing Nominet at appropriate standards bodies and cross industry fora as appropriate.
- Quickly understand the existing environment and rapidly build the relationships required across the business.
- Understand and offer insight to the strategic importance of DNS to Nominet and its service offerings.
- Become an authority and expert on Nominet’s DNS platform, DNS monitoring and analysis tools.
- Works effectively as ‘part of the Company team’, communicates with a positive attitude at all levels with broader influence both internally and externally
- Works effectively as part of a department team, recognises areas where support is required and offers assistance proactively.
- Is flexible and adaptable in approach. Be a ‘go to’ person.
- Takes an active role in personal development and frequently reviews individual objectives and attends training sessions as required
- Professionally manages customer communications
- Professionally manages workload and conflicting priorities
- Able to effectively plan ahead, lead on problem resolution and proactively use initiative.
Key results / Outputs and deliverables
- Accountable for maintaining a high quality service to ensure agreed SLAs and “uptime” to the DNS platforms is met.
- React to and promptly resolve incidents within the DNS platforms.
- Advise, plan and implement changes to DNS platforms.
- On time and on quality project delivery
- Strong ISO process conformation and compliance awareness.
- Create simple solutions for complex and challenging problems.
Professional skills, background and profile
The ideal candidate would have a real interest and enthusiasm for working with the latest technology within a highly motivated team. He/she would bring fresh and exciting ideas to the role and have a very inquisitive and analytical mind. He/she would have the ability to work as part of a team as well as being strongly self-motivated.
- Advanced knowledge of Internet operations with a strong focus on DNS, DNSSEC and BGP.
- Experience in the configuration of nameservers using BIND/NSD
- Knowledge of virtualisaton technologies such as VMware
- Knowledge of RedHat Linux and RPM packaging.
- Knowledge of configuration management systems such as Puppet.
- Significant experience of a major scripting language (Perl, Python, Ruby)
- Knowledge and experience in working with packet captures.
- Strong communication skills
- A strong interest and enthusiasm in computers and emerging technologies
- An exceptional knack for problem solving and logical reasoning
- Ability to think laterally and look beyond the obvious