Front-End Software Engineer
As a Front-End Software Engineer working in the Research and Development team, you will design, develop, release, and maintain web-based front-end systems. You will work closely with researchers to develop existing prototypes into production-ready systems which provide great User Experiences. You will be comfortable developing innovative new front-ends from scratch with a high degree of autonomy. You will be joining a team focussed on early-stage product development in emerging technologies and nascent markets, and will enjoy rapid iteration and moving between projects as circumstances change.
- Taking the lead on development and maintenance of new Nominet products
- Own and develop robust, maintainable, standards-compliant code (that leverages frameworks where possible) in an agile working environment
- Working on a breadth of web technologies whilst ensuring a coherent, high-performing platform
- Investigating and advise on new web-based trends, technologies, packages and libraries
- Taking the lead on delivering high-quality, well tested code in a timely manner
- Packaging software and data for continuous delivery/deployment
- Writing high-quality documentation
- Solving complex problems with no precedent and taking responsibility for key design decisions
- Developing relationships with people across the Nominet business and using these relationships throughout your work with a positive attitude
- Being a good team player and able to work with different people across departments and levels.
- Director of Research & Development
- R&D Team
- Project Management Office
- New Product and Business Development Team
- Key Nominet staff.
Key result areas:
- High level of service delivered based on internal feedback and features implemented as part of product roadmaps
- On-time and on-budget project delivery
- Collaborative, productive working relationships with colleagues.
- Strong knowledge of HTML5, CSS3
- Strong knowledge of AJAX, current web standards, trends and patterns such as responsive/mobile-first design.
- Experience with web mapping solutions (e.g. Mapbox) highly desirable
- Familiarity with version control systems like Git/Subversion.
- A strong commitment to delivering great User Experience
- Excellent interface design skills. Visual design experience is a plus
- Experience implementing and troubleshooting cross-browser issues/solutions, and supporting and maintaining code developed by third parties
- Ability to work from a prototype and collaborate with researchers to deliver production-ready systems
- Ability to understand product development within the context of the business and how products will contribute to the success of the company
- Ability to produce documentation that is well-structured and well-written
- Effective communication with technical and non-technical colleagues, including giving demonstrations of your software
- A passion for writing clean, reliable, thoroughly-tested, maintainable code.
- The following skills are desirable but not essential:
- Node.js, MongoDB and MEAN full-stack development
- Linux sysadmin/DevOps experience
- Experience with Amazon AWS and/or Azure environment