Head of Data
Nominet are now one of the world’s leading internet registry companies, with a public purpose agenda they work closely with national and international organisations to find ways of making the internet a better and more secure place.
Nominet’s work touches on many areas ranging from enhanced internet security, to investment in social programmes that use the internet and the development of internet standards and policy. In addition to playing a major role in facilitating the UK internet economy, we work closely with international organisations on issues including internet governance and seek ways that we can help make the internet a better place. Nominet have a strong reputation in the international domain market, built on a solid foundation of expertise and accumulated knowledge acquired through their years of experience working with the internet as it has developed to what it is today.
Lead and deliver technical services and support for the Nominet registry, delivering service and technology excellence across the Infrastructure and Business Systems teams. Develop and implement a coherent and flexible technology service strategy, structuring the team to accomplish service objectives that enable the business goals to be met. Work with both internal and external stakeholders to maximise the potential of the registry systems, creating a technology provision that is second to none in the industry. Be a key business leader in the Nominet organisation and partner to the Chief Technology Officer in helping to further both the technical and business strategies.
- Work closely with the Chief Technology Officer, Chief Operating Officer, the technology leadership team and business management team to lead the development and implementation of the data strategy, aligning it with overall organisational strategy. Work with the technology leadership team to support each other and deliver all technology objectives.
- Shape data strategy, build the data / BI team and make the mark through maximising value, creating competitive advantage and driving operational excellence
- Create a Centre of Excellence for data, conducting research and using industry best practice to deliver data capabilities to all areas of the business
- Build new capabilities for the core and new registry businesses driving value from our registry and DNS data to provide new capabilities to the business, our registrar channel and our new gTLD clients.
- Liaise with the Cyber Security and Product development functions to use data capabilities to enhance and create new products and services in the cyber security sector
- Lead a team of data analytics and BI specialists, ensuring that the data solutions are defined and delivered in line with internal customers' expectations and that technology innovation delivers a return on investment
- Act as the primary liaison for the senior leadership team on all data analytics and data governance projects, owning and taking prompt action to escalate project and service issues
- Work with CTO to define and deliver the data strategy for the Nominet business
- Build, manage and lead a dedicated data function within the Technology directorate
- Deliver operational data capabilities across all business functions
- Provide data capabilities to help grow the core and new registry businesses
- Build a strong data-science capability to take advantage of key data technologies
- Create new capabilities that can be utilised in both core and new business areas
- Provide liaison and assistance to the Cyber and New product teams in terms of delivering data capabilities into their teams
- Fully understand the business and act as key partner to the senior leadership team
- Create a data-culture within the business, where every member of staff sees data as a key resource.
- Have a strong ear to the data science market and research landscape in order to bring new capabilities to the business
- Understand the SaaS and outsourcing markets to augment in-house capabilities
- Be an inspiring manager and leader to the data team
- Strong working relationships across business
- Creation and delivery of a IT service delivery strategy
- Management of the Infrastructure and Business Systems teams
- Supplier relationships
Key Results Areas:
- Completion and execution of the data strategy
- Complete the data team – recruiting open headcount (re-org if necessary)
- Roadmap of data projects included in strategic project roadmap
- Faster turnaround of data initiatives and internal client satisfaction
- Delivery of at least one new initiative in the registry business that positively affects domain sales in first 12 months
- Delivery of at least one new feature into the cyber security capability that is transferable into the product roadmap.
- Track record of managing an existing data function and team – with demonstrable business benefits
- Experience of developing and leading data analytics, data governance and BI project implementation;
- Significant experience and success of developing individuals / teams to produce results and leading multi-disciplinary projects
- Background to include identifying and evaluating emerging technologies and how these might support the delivery of an organisation’s objectives and new operating model.
- Formal programme /project management methodology (preferably MSP and Prince2) qualifications matched by a broad understanding of IT technologies and IT skill sets