Operations Support Systems (OSS) Engineer
General Description of Role:
This is an important and exciting role that will ensure the availability and performance of UK Critical National Infrastructure.
You will be a valued member of the IT Operations team with responsibility for managing, configuring and optimising all monitoring/alerting tools for the core systems that are in use by the business.
In addition, you will be responsible for the administration and configuration of the IT Service Management System tool and related audit activities associated with out critical ISO accreditations for Service Management and Security.
It is important that you have the ability to understand and manage the monitoring for our public and private cloud hardware, software and applications in the context of a growing threat landscape, to enable the best technical support to the Nominet business and our customers;
- Proactively manage the monitoring and alerting systems to provide excellent technical support to the Nominet business and our customers
- Manage and prioritise monitoring and alerts to minimise volume and false positives whilst ensuring the right team is informed at the right time
- Work across the Technology department to deliver monitoring and alerting associated with new projects in line with the company roadmap across multiple on-premise and cloud technologies and platforms
- Implement upgrades and changes to operational support systems so that system and service monitoring and alerting is improved with minimum disruption to service
- Propose and champion improvements and longer-term fixes to core technology problems to improve system and service performance
- Be comfortable and excited about working with and learning the breadth of enterprise technologies and emerging architectures Nominet exploit
- Work within an ITIL/ISO 20000 framework to preserve vital production services
- Work to Service Level Agreements to manage uptime and performance of both systems and services
- Understand and proactively plan infrastructure, XaaS and service monitoring to meet both technical and business needs
- Maintain and develop working relationships within the technical department and wider business and external suppliers
- Systematically monitor all core technology components and act when necessary to ensure efficient and continuous service
- Develop and review team working practices and collaboration with colleagues to streamline processes and procedures and ensure efficient running of the department
- Complete required documentation in line with departmental and ISO standards to enable systems to be supported, maintained and used effectively
Key Results / Outputs and Deliverables:
- Accurate monitoring and alerting of all infrastructure, systems and services for on premise and cloud-based environments
- High Uptime of all critical systems measured against defined SLAs
- Flexible and resilient systems platform
- Delivery of project and work packages as requested
- Adherence of ITIL/ISO20000 processes
- Close, productive working relationships with other teams
- Monitor and collate the availability and resource utilization metrics of servers, networks, database instances, hypervisors and storage
- Collect metrics and produce reports in real time and perform historical data analysis or trending of the elements monitored
Professional Skills, Background and Profile:
Demonstrable experience working in Infrastructure, hardware, operating system and application monitoring roles.
Candidates must have experience of:
- Proven experience of working with monitoring and alerting systems
- Working to Internal & External Service Level Agreements
- A good understanding across a broad spectrum of infrastructure technologies
- Comprehensive knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems, primarily focused around RedHat
- Delivering work packages within time and quality criteria targets
- Experience of using:
- Server Hardware
- Networking hardware
- Storage Arrays
- ITIL/ISO20000 (Foundation or above)
- Zabbix (Certified Specialist or above)
- Scripting (Python)
- REST API
- Cloud – AWS/Azure
- Java based applications
We are looking for candidates who are proactive, flexible and enthusiastic and want to expand their technical expertise and responsibilities. You must be an effective, disciplined, self-starting and self-managing individual capable of hard work.
Do you want a role that will allow you to actively develop and challenge your abilities?
Behaviours are important here at Nominet and we are looking for people who work effectively, good communication skills and the ability to collaborate at all levels of the organisation and with external clients.