Public Affairs Manager
Nominet is the guardian of the .UK registry, and is a world leader in the domain name industry. The company is also exploring the potential of new technologies (from the Internet of Things to Dynamic Spectrum management) that contribute to the future development of the internet.
A key part of our work is our outreach to stakeholders to ensure we maintain strong, well-informed relationships, particularly with political audiences. The corporate affairs team do this by supporting all areas of the company - sharing our successes, communicating our public benefit contribution, identifying policy and commercial opportunities and mitigating threats.
The Public Affairs Manager will be accountable for leading the company’s work, bringing together strategic thinking with a plan to deliver tangible results. This person will be a respected subject matter expert, responsible for:
- Engaging with our political and policy stakeholders
- Managing a smooth policy making process for the .UK registry
The Policy Manager will work closely with the Director of Corporate Affairs, but must be able to lead projects and will be required to take the initiative to develop a proactive programme to support the company’s strategy.
The Public Affairs Manager will be responsible for leading on particular areas of the company’s policy work, while acting as a role model for others in the team. Over time the Public Affairs manager will be expected to take on line management responsibility for one or more members of the team.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Be the key subject matter expert on designated policy areas and take the lead in managing the company’s relationship with designated external stakeholders.
- Acting as an ambassador for Nominet with our members and external stakeholders, with sufficient breadth of knowledge to discuss all aspects the business.
- Lead on the management and delivery of Nominet’s policy making process for the .UK, .wales and .cymru top-level domains.
- Be a first point of contact for colleagues seeking information and advice on policy matters and political or policy stakeholders.
- Lead multi-disciplinary project teams to establish appropriate policy strategies, reviews, changes and implementation.
- Participate in cross-company teams to deliver projects that support the company’s strategic and commercial objectives.
- Analyse political and policy developments to identify opportunities and risks for the business.
- Shape the development and delivery of Nominet’s strategic approach to policy making, consultation and stakeholder engagement.
The Public Affairs Manager must have sufficient gravitas to act as an ambassador to our external stakeholders.
- Be a clear, confident and engaging communicator who is comfortable advising senior management and board members.
- Capable of engaging with non-technical, expert and/or international audiences.
- Have excellent written communication skills with the ability to be concise and effective.
- Ability to adapt styles of communication to work with colleagues and stakeholders from a range of professional and technical backgrounds.
Key results / Outputs and deliverables
- Policy making processes within Nominet’s top-level domains that are seen to reflect best practice without gold-plating.
- Advice to management and colleagues on policy issues that help implement the company’s strategy and identify new commercial opportunities or regulatory threats.
- Increased awareness of Nominet’s broad range of commercial services within the domain name industry and our policy stakeholders.
- Enhanced engagement from key policy and political stakeholders and a broadening of the stakeholders engaged with Nominet’s policy processes and events.
- Project specific deliverables such as analysis, consultations and implementation.
Professional skills, background and profile
- A government relations/political/stakeholder professional with track record of successful engagement programmes.
- A clear thinker with the ability to be commercially-minded without losing sight of the wider public interest and stakeholder impact.
- A self-motivated problem solver with the ability to analyse and solve complex policy issues.
- Understanding of, and experience in, the UK political, policy making and regulatory environment.
- Understanding of internet related issues, and interest in new technologies.
- Providing detailed analysis of complex policy issues and the impact on an organisation’s strategy and interests.
- Proven ability to communicate complex issues to non-expert audiences both verbally and in writing.
- The personal and professional flexibility to deal with the fast pace of policy and political developments and the rapid pursuit of new opportunities by the company.
- The willingness and ability to work around a flexible schedule in Oxford and London.
- Conducting public consultations on policy issues.
- Experience of designing and implementing policies in a multi-stakeholder environment,
- Familiarity with the domain name/internet/tech sectors.
- Experience of policy making in membership organisations.
- A level of technical understanding of how the internet works.
- Experience in international policy organisations such as ICANN, the ITU, etc.
- Experience of line management of professional staff and supporting career development.