Researcher - Wireless Technology
Work collaboratively with other researchers and software engineers in the Emerging Technology Team exploring and developing new technologies that will enable Nominet strategic aims and objectives.
Develop software applications using best practices to quickly build prototypes and asses viabilities of technology.
Become an expert in new research areas, contributing to standards bodies where necessary.
Clearly communicate findings and demonstrations to stakeholders internally and externally, helping to build partner relationships that benefit the wider team.
- Exploring the technical viability of new technologies and techniques
- Solving complex problems with no precedent and taking responsibility for key design decisions
- Investigating and engaging with new trends, technologies and software packages
- Writing high-quality reports and documentation
- Developing relationships with people across the business
- Presenting work to external partners and stakeholders
- Contributing to standards bodies
- Head of Wireless Technology
- Director of Emerging Technology
- Emerging Technology team
- Project Management Office
- Key Nominet staff.
Key result areas
- High level of delivery and innovation based on internal feedback and meeting internal milestones and objectives
- Collaborative, productive working relationships with colleagues.
- Proven research experience in academic or commercial environment.
- Proven knowledge of wireless standards, technologies and networks.
- Spectrum technologies regulations and 5G networks.
- Fluent in at least one programming language, preferably Java.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of database design.
- Mathematical understanding of the collection, organization, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of data.
- Ability to break-down complex problems and methodically solve
- Ability to produce documentation that is well structured and well written.
- Ability to innovate and think differently.
- Ability to build software prototypes of a high standard
- Being a good team player with a positive attitude and able to work with different people across departments and levels
- Effective communication with technical and non-technical colleagues, including giving demonstrations of your software
- Front-end frameworks (Angular, React etc), GIS and mapping technologies, simulation methods.
- Experience in telecoms industry.
- Experience with any of: Mapbox, Scala, Apache Spark, Elastic Search, Neo4J, NoSQL databases.
The ideal candidate would have a real interest and enthusiasm for working with the latest technology within a highly motivated team. They would bring fresh and exciting ideas to the role and have a very inquisitive and analytical mind. They would have the ability to work as part of a team as well as being strongly self-motivated.