System Administration Lead
General Description of Role:
Opportunities like this don’t come about often! Here at Nominet you will get the opportunity to work with so many different technologies, platforms and talented people. We are looking for someone to lead and manage the Systems Administration team, providing critical IT system support to the technical team, Nominet and wider internet community through the delivery and maintenance of critical national infrastructure.
- Lead and inspire a team to provide best of breed solutions, bringing out the best in others and acting as a role model for Nominet behaviours both internally and externally.
- Define and execute delivery of services using a breadth of technologies to support local enterprise solutions through to critical national infrastructure
- Work within an ISO20000 framework to preserve vital production services.
- Work to Service Level Agreements to manage uptime and performance of both systems and services
- Understand and proactively plan infrastructure to meet both technical and business needs including the replacement and upgrade of obsolescent systems.
- To provide technical expertise and set the strategic direction in the development and provisioning of related projects. This includes but is not limited to: planning / designing, developing, implementing, upgrading and maintaining solutions and systems.
- Manage project activity and balance this with support and administration tasks
- Resourcing and planning regular maintenance activity such as patching, security updates, software releases (driven by Business Systems)
- Work closely with the DNS & Networks Engineering Lead, Head of Business Systems and Director of IT Operations to create and execute against strategy in line with the company goals and objectives
- Be an effective, disciplined, self-starting and self-managing leader capable of hard work
- Manage of on-call rota and subsequent resourcing implications from TOIL to ensure the availability and performance of core systems and services
- Ensure department budget is forecast and managed effectively
- Manage supplier relationships and ensure service levels are being met.
- Provision of highly resilient, critical registry services
- Provide expertise in both infrastructure configuration & management
Further responsibility to include:
- Delivery of key projects, including internal projects in flight such as outsourced NOC and internal Dev environment refresh, as well as new production services developed via PMO/Business Systems’.
- Management of Systems Administrator Team
- Working relationships within IT dept and wider business
- Working with Head of Infrastructure to define technical strategy for infrastructure
What we look for:
Nominet is a vibrant, commercial and ambitious business. We want to stay ahead of the game and want to keep growing. To help us achieve these big aspirations it is important we are aligned as to HOW we go about doing what we do. So…we have identified five behaviours, which we believe will help us
See the Big Picture
Make the Right Call
Be at your Best
Give you All
Key Results / Outputs and Deliverables:
- High uptime and performance of all critical systems measured against defined SLAs
- Manage and maintain a flexible and resilient systems platform
- On time and on-budget project delivery taking a commercial outlook on systems and delivery
- Review and provide guidance for all (non-network) infrastructure aspects within the business for core, adjacent and new commercial opportunities.
- Excellent ISO process conformation across the team including contract reviews, ensuring support contracts are fit for purpose and external service reviews with third party suppliers.
- Close, productive working relationships with other IT teams
- Create and maintain an engaged, motivated, great performing team
Professional Skills, Background and Profile:
- Highly influential leader with extensive hands on operational experience managing complex, global, mission critical production environment
- Ability to work on large, high volume critical infrastructures.
- A thorough understanding of internet, networking and infrastructure technologies
- Experience of managing co-located infrastructure with Disaster Recovery capabilities
Proven experience with:
- Planning, organisation, communication, scheduling and people management of a team of technical experts and professionals
- Managing a combined budget of £2M+
- Working within service level agreements
- Managing infrastructure projects
- Developing people
- Vendor management
Demonstrable expert knowledge of enterprise level platforms ideally with experience with the following technologies and systems; Linux (RHEL 6); VMWare; NetBackup; HP SAN; Puppet;
ITIL or ISO20000 Service Management System
Desirable experience with the following would be advantageous:
- Java, Ruby, Hyperic, VCOPs/VROPs
- AWS experience
- Infrastructure architecture experience
- Exposure to Nominet or similar registry businesses
- Current or previous clearance to SC or above