The Technical Consultant will be an authority on the technology market and lead the identification and evaluation of new technology-led opportunities for the wider business to further investigate. The role will advise on potential partners, investments, products and services that will benefit Nominet in all areas of its business.
- Be the ‘go to’ person for identifying and evaluating new technologies and opportunities for the Emerging Technology team to explore.
- Work alongside Finance to identify and assist with formal technical due diligence of potential acquisition targets for Nominet.
- Lead the technical validation process for potential investments, acquisitions or partnerships, and make suitable recommendations to Business Management Team.
- Work at a strategic level, building relationships within the industry and amongst key stakeholders. Proactively take up initiatives to develop new partnerships.
- Be an authority on market and competitor analysis within the technology space relevant to Nominet.
- Proactively record and disseminate relevant knowledge, results, ideas and other information to the Emerging Technology team.
- Identify and research the potential for new services derived from new technologies.
- Works effectively as part of the Company, communicates positively at all levels both internally and externally
- Works effectively as part of a team, recognises areas where support is required and offers assistance
- Is flexible and adaptable in approach
- Takes an active role in personal development and frequently reviews individual objectives and attends training sessions as required
- Professionally manages communications
- Professionally manages workload and conflicting priorities
- Able to effectively problem solve and use initiative
Key results / Outputs and deliverables
- Deliver high quality reports on technology considerations for potential acquisitions and partnerships.
- Deliver high quality and insightful vendor profiles and competitor analysis
- Deliver high quality and insightful deep dive technical evaluations of new technology and of vendors
Professional skills, background and profile
- Previous experience as Presales Engineer / Solutions Architect with significant time spent client facing.
- Previous experience delivering technology solutions and/or leading software development teams
- Market analysis; ability to understand and interpret technology market trends
- Competitor analysis; ability to analyse companies and markets and understand the competitive threat or opportunity a company and its products represent to Nominet and its strategic direction.
- High standards of written communication, able to write structured well-written reports on a diverse range of technology topics.
- Ability to produce well structured business cases for new product proposals.
- Ability to produce white papers and product documentation that is well structured and well written.
- Ability to explain and describe complex ideas in plain English for external non-expert audiences.
- Ability to innovate and think differently.
- Excellent academic background including a degree (MSc/or equivalent) in a computing-related or other numerate subject such as Computer Science, IT, Physics or Maths.
- Experience in a technology market analysis or technology strategy role.
- Evidence of innovation and or research within existing roles required
- An interest and enthusiasm in information-technology and emerging technologies
- An exceptional capability for problem solving and logical reasoning
- Ability to think laterally and look beyond the obvious
- A curious mind
- An organised and disciplined approach to work
- Ability to communicate effectively with different levels of an organisation
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Flexible with ability to thrive on tight deadlines.